Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Welcome to Small Town, USA

Population 900. In the past 10 years there has been an increase in population by 100. That's right, we average 10 people every year, and when someone moves into town, everyone knows. This is where everyone knows you and you know everyone. Word gets around like the speed of light. Most of the community is related in some shape or form. It could be anything from someone being your aunt, to someone being your ex husbands sisters daughters father. Things can get complicated real easy when trying to find that special someone, that is, until someone new moves into town.



I was in 4th grade, a bright eyed 9 year old, when I moved here to live with my grandparents after my parents nasty divorce. I had jet black hair, chubby, and tan from head to toe.I had moved all over this side of the state, for most of my life, but this town is where my family was originally from. I remember it was a cold December day, when my grandmother took me into my new school. I wasn't nervous because I was used to moving and making new friends, so when I walked into my classroom I remember finding the nearest desk open. If only I had known that this is where my journey would begin.


The room is filled with whispers and giggles, which I was used to, but as I glance around the room I can't help but notice the one person not whispering or talking, instead they were in the seat next to mine, just staring at me. His name was Barlow "BO" Dayton, tall, lanky, bright brown eyes, dark brown hair and a scar above his right eye. His cheeks were blushed from being caught staring, and he wore a half grin on his face. Sitting on the other side of Bo was his best friend Jameson McGee. Jameson was also tall, lanky, but had curly blond hair and hazel green eyes. He had a goofy laugh, and also wore a half grin on his face.
So why, of all the people in the room, did they catch my attention, but more importantly why were they not laughing or whispering like our peers? Little did I know, I would soon find the answers to those questions and so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment